Saying Something

I don't claim to think that I have the word to share about the tragic attack on the people at the Boston Marathon.  Nor do I think that my words will somehow make a difference that will lessen the sense of shock, horror and sorrow that comes with instances of senseless terror that we seem to encounter way to often in our world.  Yet, I must say something.

First, I must say that my heart hurts for those that lost their lives and were injured yesterday in Boston.  I pray for the families that are grieving today because they lost loved ones and I pray for those that are recovering in hospitals.  I pray for everyone effected by this tragedy and for all of those who unselfishly ran to the aid of strangers.  I pray that God will comfort, heal and strengthen.

I think that our "natural" tendency in times like these is to want to try to make sense of it.  We see evil things in our world and we try to make sense out of the evil.  We try to make sense of the 9/11 attacks.  We try to make sense of mass shootings like Sandy Hook, Columbine, Virginia Tech, Colorado and others .  We try to make sense out of yesterdays bombing at the Boston Marathon finish line.  But, the truth is they are senseless.  I don't want to make sense of it.  I don't want to live in a world where I become desensitized to tragedy and say well it is just what happens and we can make sense of this  if we just dig deep enough.  It never makes sense for parents to bury children or for the innocent to suffer.  Hate, evil and injustice do not and should never make sense.  I pray that I never make sense of these horrible tragedies.  Instead, I pray that I might be one that offers comfort and hope and healing in the midst of things that don't make sense at all.  I pray that I might love in the face of senseless hate.  I pray that I might show compassion and mercy in the face of evil and injustice.  

You may have notice that I put the word natural in quotes at the start of the previous paragraph.  This is because I always wrestle with what we describe as natural tendencies.  I wonder if it is natural to how we are created or natural to our fallen state.  When I look at the pictures and the footage of yesterdays event it is clear that evil was not the natural human response.  What we saw yesterday was that what made sense in the face of this senseless act was for people to run to the aid of  their fellow man.  What made sense and was natural was for people to protect strangers, comfort their neighbor, offer support and aid to the hurting and to run toward the tragedy and help where they could.  What made sense in the midst of this senseless act was love, was good, was compassion.  That is what was natural.  That was the natural instinct, as always is the instinct of humanity, in the face of these tragedies.  We saw way more good  yesterday than evil.  Good is what is natural and makes sense not evil.

I pray for a day and a time when evil no longer exist in our world.  I pray for a world that is all good and all loving where the innocent don't suffer and senseless things cease to happen.  I pray that until that day comes I never become desensitized to the unnatural and senseless events that happen.  I pray that I never make sense or try to make sense but focus on what does make sense--Love.  I pray that we always look to the cross and see where God is in the midst of suffering and in the midst of tragedy.  I pray that we recognize that Jesus is found with those who are suffering and hurting and that Jesus feels our pain and our hurts.  I pray that I love like Jesus in my life.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts