I am a United Methodist

LONG POST ALERT -  I will alert you at the onset if you don't want to read something super long I understand.    If you have some time and you're interested in some thoughts and feelings that I have in regards to the current state of my denomination please read and discuss with me.

+ + + + + + + + +

I met and fell in love with Jesus at Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church. I was in a small group with some amazing, gracious, kind and loving people who helped me to see that God was real and that he cared about my ordinary everyday life.  They showed me love and grace and helped me to grow in my knowledge and love of God and to discover His calling for me. It was there that I committed my life to Jesus and made him my life.  Jon Spalding was the pastor and he helped me to see that pastors are real people and that God used ordinary people just like me to build His Kingdom. The people of Pleasant Hill UMC were the first to affirm and to say that God was calling me to be a pastor. They trusted God and they helped me to enter into the ministry.  They brought me onto the staff to serve as their first associate pastor.  They supported me as I went to seminary and sought to live out and into the calling to pastoral ministry. 

I went to a Saint Paul School of Theology, a United Methodist Seminary, and I had my knowledge and understanding of  God stretched, shaped and nourished. I connected with other colleagues and friends who were on the same journey of discovery and discernment and we journeyed together.  To this day many of us still do.

I have served in many wonderful churches as their pastor and a member of the faith community doing life together.  I have been blessed by my time at Smith Chapel, Prairie Chapel, and Dockery Chapel United Methodist Churches.  I was ordained by the Missouri Conference of the United Methodist Church as they affirmed God's calling on my life with the blessing and the laying on of hands.  Bishop Robert Schnase, Jon Spalding, Jeff Brinkman, and Dick Curry laid their hands on me in the midst of the people who call themselves United Methodist and on the behalf of the Church ordained and blessed me to serve as an elder in the United Methodist Church. For 20 years, I have been a pastor in this denomination.  The people at the churches I have served have and continue to help me grow in my relationship with Christ and be the person that God created me to be.  They love me, support me and challenge me.  

I am a United Methodist. 

You may have seen in the news over the past week stories about the United Methodist Church. We had a special called General Conference to make a decision on where the Global United Methodist Church will officially stand on the issue of human sexuality.  In particular, on the issues of performing and hosting same-sex marriage ceremonies and on the ordination of  LGBTQ+ individuals for ministry in our denomination.  Since 1972, we have been talking about how we trying to hold in tension the understanding that all people are of sacred worth, our call to inclusivity, the unconditional love of Jesus and how to address behavior that could be considered as incompatible to Christian teaching.  The tension is illustrated in the church's statements from the Book of Discipline and the Social Principles.  I have bolded the statements that create tension.

In regards to human sexuality there is the following statement:
"We affirm that sexuality is God’s good gift to all persons. We call everyone to responsible stewardship of this sacred gift. Although all persons are sexual beings whether or not they are married, sexual relations are affirmed only with the covenant of monogamous, heterosexual marriage. We deplore all forms of the commercialization, abuse, and exploitation of sex. We call for strict global enforcement of laws prohibiting the sexual exploitation of children and for adequate protection, guidance, and counseling for abused children. All persons, regardless of age, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation, are entitled to have their human and civil rights ensured and to be protected against violence. The Church should support the family in providing age-appropriate education regarding sexuality to children, youth, and adults.
We affirm that all persons are individuals of sacred worth, created in the image of God. All persons need the ministry of the Church in their struggles for human fulfillment, as well as the spiritual and emotional care of a fellowship that enables reconciling relationships with God, with others, and with self. The United Methodist Church does not condone the practice of homosexuality and considers this practice incompatible with Christian teaching. We affirm that God’s grace is available to all. We will seek to live together in Christian community, welcoming, forgiving, and loving one another, as Christ has loved and accepted us.  We implore families and churches not to reject or condemn lesbian and gay members and friends. We commit ourselves to be in ministry for and with all persons."

In regards to ordination:
"While persons set apart by the Church for ordained ministry are subject to all the frailties of the human condition and the pressures of society, they are required to maintain the highest standards of holy living in the world. The practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching. Therefore self-avowed practicing homosexuals are not to be certified as candidates, ordained as ministers, or appointed to serve in The United Methodist Church."

Understanding that I don't want to take lightly or diminish the struggle, hurt, and sacrifice that has come in the tension and debate within my church over the past 40 plus year since the language of "incompatible with Christian teaching" was added to the church's statements. There are brothers and sisters on both sides of the issue.  God fearing, God seeking, loving, caring, compassionate friends on both sides who are seeking to grow in love of God and love of neighbor.  Seeking to be faithful to their call to follow Jesus.  I am far too aware after the events of this past week at General Conference that we don't see eye to eye on these issues and there are deep wounds caused by this longtime debate.  Hurt has been caused and continues to be caused by our efforts to live with differing thoughts and opinions on these issues.

I admit that this is probably an oversimplification of the issues but here is how I will try to express it in just a few sentences. We are divided on how to express truth and love.  I think that we all agree that we should express love to everyone.  We struggle with agreeing on what is the truth we are to express.  We struggle with what love looks like when we don't agree. We are divided on what love is and how loving action is expressed.  Some of my United Methodist brothers and sisters feel that it is not loving to condone behavior that they feel is incompatible with Christian teaching. Some feel that it is not loving to exclude people from ordination because of who they love.  We are divided on how to interpret the scriptures when it comes to human sexuality.  And we don't know how to live together anymore when we don't see eye to eye on the issue because I think for either side how we handle the issue is fundamental to what they believe it means to follow Jesus.
I already told you that I was going to oversimplify this complex issue. As I see it these are issues that have created all of the tension and inevitably will lead to a parting of ways for many with my church.

What is the truth?
What is love? 
How do we live out truth and love as followers of Jesus Christ in the world? 

The problem was that we put it to a vote. We asked our bishops and church leaders to lead us in choosing a side on something that we are struggling and wrestling to discern and understand as individuals and as a community of believers.  They led us to pick a side.  So, we voted and it showed us that we do not agree on these matters.  53% of the General Conference delegates chose the Traditional Plan.  47% voted against the Traditional Plan as the way forward. We said it was time to vote and pick a side. For me, this has been the most disheartening.  I have always loved and appreciated that as United Methodist we chose to continue the conversation.  Every four years we were open to "Holy Conferencing" and being open to having our thoughts, beliefs, and ideas about what it means to be the church and follow Christ open for discussion.  We were committed to continuing to discern the work that God is doing in and through us and what it means to be the church. It left us open to the possibility that God just might have more to say than what we have already discerned.  We seemed open at least to discussing that God might be doing a new thing. Putting this to a vote in the way that we have done it, through a specially called conference about a way forward, was an unspoken "thing will never be the same again" and" it is time to pick which side you are going to be on".  Discerning is over.  (I am not ready to stop discerning)
Sadly, our continued discussion has turned into winning and not discerning. At times, it was about rightness and not righteousness. About my view being right more than about Christ righteousness. The discernment through hearing differing opinions dismantled into a separation into us and them. I am right and you are wrong.  We lose sight of "we".  And we lose sight of God. We get mad. We get hurt.

This is the saddest part for me.  I want to say right now that many of my brothers and sisters in my denomination are hurt and I don't want to do anything more to cause them pain by writing my thoughts on these issues.  I am going to try to share in the next few posts some thoughts and I just want to say first and for most I am a United Methodist and I will continue to be a United Methodist.  I am not sure what the denomination will be like as we move forward, no one does.  Really, no one knows at this point.  I am going to try to be vulnerable and honest about my own discernment and thoughts on these issues as well as what I see as the complexity that leads me to where I stand at the moment in regards to the issue.  Again, I don't want to hurt anyone. We have all been hurt enough.  People outside the church do a good enough job causing hurt and pain to the church we don't need to be hurting one another in the church.  Also, I am acutely aware that the pain caused by brothers and sisters in Christ seems to hurt with an even more powerful sting.

In my next few posts, I just want to share from my heart what God has been speaking into it.  I don't know that it will help some or not. But, I feel it might help me. I feel that God is leading me to write my thoughts.  I will close with my position on the issues that I see at the core of the debate in my church right now.  I know that there are those that want to know what I think and it will open us up for my next post.  I think that the most biblical and faithful answer that I can give is that I do not fully know.

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Unknown said…
I appreciate your thoughts and comments, Doug. We all are in a confused state and wonder what we can do to maintain our Methodist beliefs and welcome and love everyone into our congregational folds. The "times" are pulling us in many directions and answers are not clear yet. We, too, pray for an answer and believe the Bible tells us very clearly what the commands are in regard to our sexuality. It seems to me that like a lot of other issues, the lines are blurred due to a revolution in the younger, self-centered, demanding generations. I admit to being one of the older generation who didn't have to deal with the "new freedoms", thank God. Thank you for sharing.
Shane said…
Hello Doug and fellow Soulcon Brother. First I just want to applaud you for opening your heart concerning this issue, especially when I know it’s certainly comes fromWhat sounds like a very sentimental connection Within the entity and construct of the United Methodist Church. My only comment to the issues that have been going on these last few weeks within these UMC resolution plans and conferences, That this is gotten to the point where we are “voting” about God’s word. That the resolution some plans set for us and going forward in the future as a denomination, lies within a construct of voting. One thing I know, is that if we as members of the body of Christ, (not just within the confine of the UMC), With willing hearts submitted to the mighty hand of God with all humility as we all should be in the first place, then the authority of God’s word would be seen much more clearly and absolute. Anytime believer start voting on what is true, we got problems, Regardless of what church we represent… Simply because we are all under the authority of one Lord, one Spirit, one body, and one mind in Christ, Regardless of the denomination within the church. This is our problem today with discerning and interpreting God’s word, and why we’re in such confusion and discord. My prayer at this point would be that people would start to experience an interaction with the true living God, and focus less on organization. They will never lineup with God’s word that way. Thanks for letting me share Doug! God bless and good day!
I love you Doug. You are an awesome human.
Unknown said…
I wrote the comments and didn't realize it came out as anonymous. I don't believe in anonymous so . . . Jan England

















Popular Posts