Lenten Reflection #5: Burdens

"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." -Galatians 6:2

Burden is not a word I use often. I also don't hear it used much outside the context of church folks. However, I do have burdens and I know my friends, coworkers, neighbors and everyone else I encounter are carrying  around hurts, struggles, pains, worries and a ton of other things that are weighing them down.  All kinds of stuff that we are not meant to carry by ourself, or at all.  
We are burdened about our health and upcoming test results. We burdened about how to pay the rent or get the kids a new pair of shoes. We are burdened about our relationships and we are burdened about decision we have made or need make.  We are burdened by loved ones who are struggling. 
If you are like most people you just try to hold up under the weight. And if you are like most people you are barely keeping it together. Barely able to carry the weight. Outwardly it might seem ok but inside we are being crushed by the weight of it all. 
This is because we are not meant to carry these pains. We are not meant to just keep piling it up and trying to carry as big a load of burdens as we can possibly endure. 
Jesus says, "come to me all who are burdened and heavy laden and I will give you rest." 
That stuff, that the bible calls burden, that we are carring that is weighing us down, we need to give it to Jesus. 
Also, we need to help each other give it to Jesus. We need to pray for and with one another and carry each other's burdens to Jesus. 
You are not in this all by yourself. Share your burdens with a trusted friend and ask them to help you carry them to Jesus   
Pray for each other. 
In so doing we will fulfill the law of Christ. 
I pray for you today that your burdens may be lighter and that you might know the rest from your burdens that Christ promises. 
Would you help me carry mine?

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts