Lenten Reflection #7:Busy

Today has been a busy day.  We have days like that don't we?  Days where we do many things, but most of the things we do are not what we thought we would be doing when the day began.  It has been a day like that. Busy.

You know there is a difference between busy and hurried?

I have had hurried days also.  Days where I hurried through one thing to get to another.  I was in such a hurry that I missed opportunities or made mistakes.  Days where I looked back at the end of my day exhausted and could not think of one thing that I really had done. I hurried, I was frantic.

I think it is Dallas Willard that says, "hurry is the enemy of our spiritual lives." It takes time to relate.  It takes time to reflect.  I takes time to connect with others and connect with God. When we are busy, like today, we can still take time for the important things.  In fact, I usually discover what was important was the interruptions to my schedule.  Care for a neighbor. Lend a hand. Help a friend. Be a listening ear for someone who needs to talk.  Laugh.  Love.
You see we cant build relationships in a hurry.  We can't love in a hurry.  We need to make sure even our our busy schedules that we are going slow enough to notice and stay in tune with the Spirit.  We need to carve out time to be alone with God so that he can settle our hurried spirits and calm the raging waters inside.

I hope that you find time today to connect with God and others around you.

Bill Hybels wrote a book titled to busy not to pray.  On days like these I try to remind myself of that truth.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts