A New Command

In our day and age with technology we really have no excuse not to read God's word.  It can be accessed online and on your phone and you can receive daily reminders through text, email and other means to nudge you and say "read the Bible today".  I use several different means to encourage me to get into the Bible and read it.  I have a couple of friends who text me each morning with a scripture and a reflection.  I have the Bible app on my phone (www.bible.com)as well as BibleGateway (www.biblegateway.com) that each give me a daily scripture reading.  We print the Revised Common Lectionary (http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/daily.php?year=Breadings) in our bulletin each week for everyone to have access to daily readings.  Many people tell me I want to read the Bible but don't know where to begin so I never pick it up.  Try using one of these resources or the several others available to take the first step in opening the book.

This morning the Bible app gave me this verse to read and reflect upon.

"A new command I give you: Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples of you love one another." John 13:34-35

These are the words of Jesus.  In some Bibles, Jesus words are written in red.  This is red letter stuff. This is a new command given by Jesus to us and it expresses what is at the core of what it means to be a follower of Jesus and and live in relationship with him.  If we are following Jesus our love will give us away.  Our love, the way that we love one another will be the true mark of whether we are living in relationship with Jesus or not.  As we grow in relationship with Him our love will grow and become more like His.  Jesus says, "as I have loved you, so you must love one another."  Our love will give us away.  It is not how well we know the Bible or how often we go to church that will allow others to know that we are followers of Jesus, it's our love for one another.  While reading the Bible and church attendance helps us to have his word written on our hearts and worship, serve and grow in relationship with Him they are not the marks of true disciples, they are what disciples do so that there love becomes more likes His.  If not, if they are our end rather than the means to a deeper relationship with Christ, we are just playing church.  We fool no one.  They don't see love.  Too often they see people who claim to be followers of Jesus casting judgement and condemnation.  Instead of love they see churches that wont except them or that look down at them.

"A new command I give you: Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Gracious God, I pray that I might love like you so that other may see in my love that I am a follower of you.  Amen

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts