Flower beds

I was able to spend my day off yesterday helping my mother and father in-law with some landscaping projects around their house.  It was a beautiful day to be outside.  Doing yard work can be a very meditative thing and being outside on such an awesome day really aided in reflecting on my relationship with God and the work that God wants to do in my life.

We planted flowers.  I hope they will grow.

It was a lot of hard work to plant these flowers.  We had to get the soil ready and then prepare the the bed with weed guard to keep the weeds out  and then plant the flower bundles.  My wife Nicole and I had a system I dug the holes and then she would place the bunch of flowers in the hole and pack them in.  This is work that you have to get your hands dirty in order to do it right.

After we planted the flowers we then had to spread river rock on the beds to cover the weed guard and make the beds look pretty.  I can't tell you how much we shoveled but it I do know I can feel it my muscles this morning.  It was a lot of hard work.  It was also fun and meditative.

In order for the flowers to grow it takes us getting our hands dirty and it takes hard work.  But, it also takes God sending the rain and shining the sunshine.

This is true of our spiritual  growth.   If we want to grow spiritually we have to be willing to get our hands dirty sometimes.  We have to be willing to do the hard work that it takes in order for us to grow.  Growth doesn't just happen.  We have to do those things that prepare the soil of our hearts and lives to be receptive for God's word to be at work in us.  We need to pray, worship, study, fellowship with other Christians, share our faith, and serve others.  We need to do the hard work. But, we cant do it with out God.  God makes us grow as we place our lives in his hands.  As we give to him our hurts, hangups, struggles, hopes, dreams, fears, insecurities and vulnerabilities he grows our trust and our love.  We have to get our hands dirty and work hard and he will bring about the growth.

I planted some flowers yesterday.

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts