Heavy Heart

This week my heart is heavy. I mean that I am a little sad. This past Sunday, every person listed on our prayer list and all those that lifted up where dealing with cancer. Cancer has a way of giving us a heavy heart. On the list was my step mother. We just learned that she has stage two lung cancer. We are praying that surgery is a possible. Also in our prayers is a dearly loved member of the Dockery Chapel family who I was praying would be able to have surgery and I found out yesterday it is not a possibility. Woody Wright worshiped with us and shared how his brother in-law was in the last stages of cancer. And we had a family come to thank us for praying for them and their 5 year old son who battled with cancer. They are still hurting from the loss of their son but they wanted to thank us ask us to continue to pray for them. Cancer has a way of giving us a heavy heart. Life at times gives us heavy hearts. This week as I have been praying and offering my sadness to God I am being reminded of some important truths.

I am reminded that God is enough. I am reminded that God feels my sadness and my heaviness. I am reminded that God has placed people, lovely people, in my life to help carry my burdens and my sorrows. People who will pray with me and for me. People who will cry, laugh, care for, and comfort.

I have also been reminded that cancer might be a scary word to hear but it is not the last word. I have been reminded that in times of a heavy heart we can give into fear or we can trust our faith. Cancer is a word but it is not the last word. Paul tells us there are only three words that last and cancer is not one of them. He say that we have faith. Our faith tells us that cancer will never win. Ever. Our faith tells us that we can be sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Our faith says what we see is not what we get ultimately. God will win. Our faith tells us that perfect love drives out fear. Our faith tells us that God is with us in the midst of our sorrows to help us and care for us. Our faith tells us that the God of all comfort will wipe our tears. Our faith tells us that God is at work for the good in all situations for the benefit of those that love him and are called according to his purpose. Our faith tells us that God's grace is sufficient for all our needs.

We have hope. In the midst of the worst situations we can have hope because Christ is our hope.
And we have love. Paul says the greatest of these is love. God loves you and me and the love that he has for us will never end. It wont be changed. Nothing separates us from his love. God's love last and outlast everything. We have the love of family and friends. Faith hope and love and the greatest of these is love. Jesus says in John 14, "Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. Trust in God and also in me." Today I choose faith. Today I choose to not give cancer, or any other circumstance of life, have the final word. I know some better words that will outlast the current situation.

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts