Love does not boast

Yesterday was Valentines day. I woke up early because I needed to make a long road trip to visit a friend who is near the end of his life. When I got up I placed a valentines card that I had for my wife on the counter for her to find when she woke up. I kissed her goodbye and left anticipation her response when she found the card.  As I drove I kept thinking she would call any minute to thank me for the gesture of love I had left for her.  After time had past I started to think maybe I should call and just check to see if she got my card. After all, had she gotten it she surely would call to tell me how much she loved me and how thoughtful I was, right?

Thankfully she called me before I called. However, I was thinking I should call and tell her what I had done. 

We do that sometimes don't we. We want to boast about what we have done. We do apparently loving things and then we say "look what I did!"  We say, "see what I did for you."

Real love does not need to be noticed. It does not expect something from others. It does not draw attention to itself. Love does not boast. 

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts