Love is not proud

proud
adjective
  1. 1.
    feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated.



  2. 2.
    having or showing a high or excessively high opinion of oneself or one's importance.

Love is a selfless act.  Love is not about getting satisfaction from what we get or have.  Love is about others.  Love sees and celebrates the importance of others.  It finds satisfaction in the achievements, and qualities of others.

As I read this definition of pride and thought about how love is not proud.  I thought about a young man from our church family who is a close friend of my oldest son.   This young man is a very good athlete.  He is the best golfer on the team and the best basketball player.  He would never tell you that.  He is  humble.  One of the qualities that I really appreciate about Chase is that he is always more excited to talk about what one of his teammates has done or something my son has accomplished than his own.  Chase could win the tournament or lead the team in scoring but he is going to be excited and tell everyone about the success of his teammate.   He is truly more happy about a shot my son makes than his own scores.  He gets a big smile on his face and is ready to talk about what his sisters achievements,  his brothers success or his friends qualities.

This is what love does.  It is not proud.  It celebrates others and recognizes their importance.  It is selfless and about the other.  I thank God that when I reflect upon love there are people in my life that come to mind that are examples of what love is (and that he is a 17 year old friend of my son).  I often talk about how there are people  in our life, and we need to be people, who are little windows into the love of God.  We catch a glimpse of what God's love is all about through these people.  Through a window we can only see a small portion of what is on the other side.  We can't see everything that is out there but we can see part of it and understand what it is like.  People like Chase can  help us to catch a glimpse of what it means that love is not proud.  I hope you have someone in you life that is not proud and recognizes and celebrates the importance of you.  That is what love does.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts