Giving my life to Christ

I was asked this question yesterday. "How did you know that you really gave your life to Christ?" This is a question we all want to know the answer to. (not about me, but for ourselves.) The person asking the question went on to talk about how several times they had desired to give themselves to Christ and asked to be saved but it seemed that maybe they had not done it right or they just have never "felt" like they had done it.

It is not that we gave our lives to Christ. It is that we are giving our lives to Christ. You see everyday we have the choice to live for God or to live for ourselves. Each and everyday we need to give our lives to Christ. At every opportunity that we have to be self seeking or Christ seeking we are either giving our lives to Christ or taking them for ourselves. It is important that we have those moments when we understand that Christ comes to save us and we accept the free gift of his grace but the scripture also talk about salvation as a process.

Acts 2:47 "And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."

1 Corinthians 1:18 "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

2 Corinthians 2:15 "For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing."

We are saved and we are being saved. John Wesley talked about salvation as an event and a process. There is the moment that we receive God's grace to save us and accept it and then we are being saved as we live new lives in Christ. It isn't that we once gave, it is that we are constantly giving our lives to Jesus.

This morning when I woke up I had a choice, and so did you, to give my life to Jesus or to live for myself. Throughout my day, probably more times than I even noticed, I was given the opportunity to choose to give my life to Jesus or to give it to something else. Until our words become actions they are merely words. Until our faith or belief becomes action than it is just words.

The question is am I giving my life to Christ? Not, did I give? The question is am accepting the gift of God to save me and am I being saved? Not, have I been saved? Saved by Grace through faith. Faith is a lived belief. Live as those who are being saved. Giving our lives to Jesus every moment of every day.

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

kathy madden said…
I am wondering if we are giving our lives everyday, all the time, what happens when we turn down a chance to witness or listen because we are too busy? How would we react if God told us he was too busy today? I believe if we are giving our lives daily we need to liten to the still small voice that needs us!

Popular Posts