Relational Giving

I have a new quote that has really been speaking to me as I prepare and get ready for Christmas. I shared it a couple of Sundays ago in church and it has continued to speak to me.

"Time is the greatest currency of love, not money."

Think about that. Think about what it means for how we celebrate Christmas. Money is not what we spend on someone to show them that we love them. Money, or an expensive gift , is not the greatest gift that we can give someone. Our time is. Giving our time expresses our love more than money ever could. Giving our time is the greatest gift we could ever give to those that we love.

I have never known of, or been with anyone, who at the end of their life said, "Pastor, I just wish I had more stuff." They all speak about how they wish that they had spent more time or could have some more time with their loved ones. Time is the greatest currency of love. When we give our time we give our presence and we give ourselves to each other. That is what love does.
There is a hymn that asks, "What gift can we bring, what present, what token?" What gift best expresses our love? This Christmas I want to give myself to the people I love...because I love them.

"Time is the greatest currency of love, not money."

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts