Back to School

Today is my kids last day of summer. Tomorrow the routine of up early and off to school begins. Gone will be the days of staying up late, sleeping in and wondering what they will do. A schedule starts. Monday through Friday they know where they will be and what they will be doing.

How do you feel about routine. If I am honest I like to be spontaneous. I like to not have to follow a schedule. However, I need some routine. Routine helps me feel comfortable. It helps me to have a since of stability even when everything else is unstable. Even when the schedule changes there are certain things that I always need to make time for and keep as part of my day. These things are called spiritual disciplines. They help me to encounter and connect with God in the midst of my ordinary everyday life. I call them habits. I have talked about them before and I am sure I will talk about them again. But, these habits are important, and as I think about the way that are schedule is about to change from a summer schedule to a school schedule I am reminded of how important it is to make sure that the schedule contains the the important things that help me encounter God.

It is easy to get so scheduled that we forget to make prayer , worship, reading our Bible, spending time with other followers, serving, and telling others about Jesus a part of our day. But we need to make sure that we are doing the things that help us encounter and grow in our relationship with Christ.

AS your schedule transitions from summer to fall what are you going to do to make spiritual disciplines a part of the schedule. Will you join a small group? Will you make church service part of your routine? Will you start a Bible reading plan? Will you get up early for time with God or stay up late? Will you be intentional about making God a part of your routine.

I pray today for all the students and teacher as they head back to school. I pray that we will keep God as part of our routine everyday.

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts