Pray for and Pray With

Several years ago a pastor friend of mine shared with me how at the church he served they were trying to create a pray with culture. What he meant by that was that they where trying to be conscious of the opportunity to pray with each other rather than just pray for one another.
If someone came by the church asking for prayer, rather than just saying we will be praying for you, they would stop and gather people together and pray right then. If someone asked for prayers as they were leaving the worship service or coming to the worship, they would stop and pray together.

This has always intrigued me. I have always felt drawn to creating a community and to be a person who just stops what I am doing and prays for people when they ask me to pray for them. Yet, to be honest, more times than not I will say to someone "I will be praying for you" rather than just stop right there and pray. Interestingly, in those moments that I have just stopped and prayed with people they have all been positive and very spirit filled. However, I still find myself more often than not praying for rather than stopping and praying with.

You might be thinking why am I writing about this? I think I am sharing it with you because it is an area of my prayer life, that for years I have felt God has been trying to stretch me in. I struggle with getting there. Second, I want to be part of a community that we will just stop and pray with each other. Where together we go to God and place our lives before him. I know people pray for me. I know that God hears my prayers and your prayers when we are praying alone. But, I think praying together is also biblical. The disciples prayed together. The early church was a praying with church as well as a praying for church. Now it is out there and I am sure many of you will help me to grow in this area of my life.

Tell me something. What do you think? How would you feel if someone just stopped and prayed with you when you asked for prayer? What if it was just a friend that did this not some pastor who you expect to do it? Could you do it for someone else?

Pray taps us into the power of God. Power to heal. Power to change us. Power to save us. Power for life. Unbelievable, powerful, miraculous things happen when God's people pray.

The next time someone asks you to pray for them give it a try. Ask them if you could just pray with them right now. Trust God. (I know that I am writing to myself, but I am trying to listen)

I pray the Dockery can be a pray with community as well as a pray for community.

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Renea Lynch said…
My prayer life has changed tremendously since our trip this summer. Encountering a group of people that came to us just to pray with us and for us was so overwhelming. It seemed awkward at first but after they continued praying aloud in our group for what seemed like 5 or 10 minutes it became comfortable. We were just talking with God. We prayed several times throughout the day and each of us was to pray aloud for the group. It became very liberating in a sense to be able to pray without wondering if I was saying the right thing or who would hear me and judge my thoughts and words. We prayed together, we prayed aloud, repeatedly. It was wonderful and should be experienced by all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. And count me in wherever I can be used. :)

Popular Posts