Sadly, It isToo Easy

This morning when I woke up I was instantly hit with how easy it is to become undisciplined. It is easy for us to slip away from stuff that is important for us to do like prayer, or reading our Bible, or worshiping because it is relatively easy to just stop doing them and for the most part nobody says anything when we stop. Most people don't know rather we have been doing them or not. Only we do. And God does.

We can go days without praying and nobody will say a word. We can go weeks and months without reading our Bibles and no one will call us on it. We can go along time without worshiping God, sharing our faith, serving, or spending time with other followers of Jesus, and for the most part no on notices or at least they don't say anything.

Sadly, It is just too easy to slowly fade away from God because accountability to the disciplines that help us encounter God in our lives is not there. We are left to hold ourselves accountable. And we can convince ourselves that we are just fine without all the discipline. But the truth is we know that this is a lie. We need to be disciplined. We need to make certain things habits in our lives so that everyday we die to ourselves and live for Christ. Without discipline we become self absorbed and self centered. We only live for ourselves and not for God. We need to intentionally turn to God and this takes discipline.

God did not create us to be "lone rangers." We need to each other. We need to encourage each other to do the things that help us encounter God and grow in our relationship with Him. We need to encourage each other to stay disciplined in our faith. And we need to be consciously aware of just how easy and how prone we are to turn away from discipline. We need to constantly be checking on how each others souls are doing.

I have a great friend that will ask "how is you soul?" When he is asking me this I know he is not interested in small talk. I know that he loves me and is caring for me and my relationship with God. He is reminding me that I desire to know God, to love God, and to grow in my relationship with God. He is gently encouraging me to take care of my soul by reading God's word, praying, worshiping, serving, spending time with other believers, and telling others what God is up to in my life.

I started this blog as a discipline for me. To help me keep myself accountable. To intentionally focus on God and the disciplines everyday. It seems that lately it has been easy for me to skip a post here and there. No one has said anything and I am not asking you too or fishing for sympathy. But , it has inspired me to think about the disciplines, or habits, that I have in my life and to be re-focused. It has again reminded me of our great need to share and do live together.

It is well with my soul. No need to worry there today.

How is your soul? Are you staying focused on God and doing the things that help you to encounter him in your life? Are you growing in your capacity to love God and others?

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Renea Lynch said…
I've missed from time to time when a day goes without a post and never give it a thought, just as you said. Our lives become so busy with things that aren't really important that we rush by or cover up the valuable stuff. I started a new blog too, just for this purpose. A way to hold myself accountable. To cherish the things in my life, to journal about them daily to remind me of their beauty and glory and to share my Lord with my bloggie friends. Sharing scripture, thoughts for the day, books to read. Thanks for the gentle reminder to hold ourselves accountable. No one is going to do it for us!

Popular Posts