More thoughts on Growth

I think it is John Ortberg who talks about the difference between training and trying. He says that if we were asked to run a marathon we could not do it just by trying. I could try as hard as I could but if I do not train I could never run a marathon. Trying hard just wont do it.

We can understand this difference, and it makes sense, when we are talking about running a marathon or mastering some other skill. If you want to do something than you train for it. Yet, when it comes to dealing with the troubles of life, with temptation, with sin, and the numerous other things that try to draw us away from our relationship with Jesus we seem to think if we just try hard enough than we will be ok and we will somehow grow spiritually.

If we want to grow in our relationship with Jesus and grow in our capacity to love God and others than we need to train ourselves. Reading our bibles, praying, serving, worship, spending time with other followers, and sharing our faith are training for life. Doing these things on a regular bases help us to encounter God and grow.

The question is: "Are we training or just trying when it comes to our relationship with God?"

I can't run a marathon if I don't train for it. I can't be more loving, more patient, more kind, more generous just by trying harder. Have you ever tried to be more patient? How did that go? It never works for me. It is training season.

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts