Thank God it's Friday

This morning as I road into town to take the kids to school there were men placing flags around the courthouse. I could see the big flag on the flagpole at the center of town half way up the pole just hanging there. It then hit me that today was September 11th. Before 2001 this was just an normal day. It was a day that people celebrated birthdays and anniversaries. (Happy Birthday MR. A.!). It was a day just like other days, people work, people play, people celebrate and people mourn. It was just normal September 11th. But since 2001 this day can't be lived without remembering and thinking about what happened in New York, Pennsylvanian and Washington.

As we remember we can still give thanks. We need to give thanks. We need to thank God today. As I think about the events of 8 years ago and all that has happened since I thank God for being a God who never leaves us or forsakes us. I am thankful that God was there on that day with the people who lost lives. I am thankful God is always with us in the good and the bad, the tragedy and the triumph. I am thankful that God wipes the tears of all those who mourn. I am thankful that God is with those today that are hurting because of their losses. I am thankful that God is a God of hope and of healing. Not fear and hate.

I am thankful today for people who give their lives everyday so that others might live. I am thankful for men and women who serve in the military, work in law enforcement, and serve as fire and rescue workers. I am thankful for EMT's, doctors & nurses. I am thank God for ordinary everyday heroes. One area that God has called me into as I try to follow him is to serve as the chaplain for our volunteer Fire Department in Grundy County. Getting to know these men and women, and serving along side them, is a great blessing to me. Thank you God for each and every one of them.

I am thankful that today there is still some normalcy. All though, this day will always be remembered for the events of 2001 there are still reasons to celebrate. Birthdays and Anniversaries. There is still joy. There is still healing. Hope is alive. Fear has not won. There are still reasons to give thanks. God is with us.

Take a moment today and give God thanks. Remember those who are hurting. Remember the everyday heroes. Remember God never leaves you and is there for you no matter what you go through. Give thanks.

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts