Back at It

This year the Christmas present at the Franklin house was a family vacation.  We planned and saved so that we could spend quality time with each other and get a chance to reconnect and create lasting memories as a family.  We did many wonderful things. We traveled and saw parts of our country that we had never seen before.  We drove from Trenton, Missouri to Miami, Florida and back again.  (That is about 45 hours together in the truck!)  We visited with family that we had not seen in a long time along the way. Nicole and I met our nephew and the kid's cousin Ray for the first time.  We were able to spend several days with my sister and brother in law and other friends as we sailed to Mexico and back.  We swam with dolphins. We saw alligators up close.  We jumped in a dove through waves in the ocean.  It was truly a trip of a life time.

I don't tell you this to make you think "oh look what they did!"  I tell you what we did because I want to tell you what was the best part of the trip.  The best part of the trip was the time spent with each other.  It was uninterrupted time with my wife and children.   It was time with my brother and sister in law and sister and brother in law.  It was talking and sharing and doing life together. You see the best part of the trip is not something that we have to go away somewhere to experience.  Sadly, sometimes it takes getting away to really enjoy the best parts of life.  Which are not places, or sights, or experiences, but people.  Our family and our friends are what make the sights, sounds, places and experiences so meaningful.  They are what makes  home a place like no other place.  I thank God the opportunity that we had to make this trip and I and grateful most of all for family and friends.  Invest time in your family and friends.  If it means 45 hours in a truck than do it.  It it means making sure you set down and have a meal together, do it!  Value one another and give thanks for the gift of relationships and family that God has given us to share and experience everyday.  Invest time into your relationships.

I am going to try this year to get refocused on my time reflecting and writing.  I have been a little "blocked" when it has come to writing and blogging for some time.  This year I will try to make it a priority.  I am going to make every effort to get back to regular blogs because it helps me in my relationship with Christ.  As focus on and build our relationship with Christ it impacts all other relationships in our lives.

So, I guess what I am trying to get out today is that I have returned home with a new and deeper appreciation for relationships and a deeper desire to nourish and grow these relationships.  I want you to know that I am back it!

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts