Spring Cleaning

I have heard Lent described as a a time of spring cleaning for the church and for followers of Jesus. It is a time for us to clear out the cobwebs, clear out the clutter, and remove the dust from the corners and areas of our life that maybe we have not given the attention that they deserve. Lent is time to reorganize and to sort through our priorities and make room for God to grow in us and to grow us as people.

I have to admit I don't like cleaning very much. It is not very much fun for me. When I lived at home with my parents, every Saturday morning we would get up and before we watched any cartoons (remember how cartoons where only on Saturday mornings and before and after school for an hour or so? Now they have there own channels and are on nonstop.) we would have to clean the house. Now you need to understand that we kept a very clean house so each Saturday was not just pick up and straighten up, it was cleaning time. Sweep, dust, mop, organize, vacuum, wash, rinse and repeat. Get the cobwebs, get the corners, and remove the dust. This might be why I don't like cleaning very much.

However, it helps me understand this image of Lent and to understand what this season of lent is about. Also it helps me appreciate what the outcome is. You see I still can remember the way our home smelt growing up. It was clean. I was never embarrassed to bring a friend over to the house. It was always clean. There was no frantic running about trying to hide things or quickly put the trash behind a closed door when people came to the house. We had done the cleaning on Saturday to make the house ready for the week.

Lent is the time for us do some cleaning. It is a time for us to give attention to some pieces of our life that maybe we have neglected. It is time to reorganize and prioritize what is meaningful in your life. I think it can be fun, I can remember moments when cleaning on Saturday mornings that as a family we just had fun. I remember my Dad trying to make us all laugh and enjoy ourselves. I can here him singing "whistle why you work." More than anything I know that it is worth it. If we will but the work into it-- great is the reward!

This cleaning will bring all of us closer to God and closer to the people that we really long to be. This cleaning can change our lives and the lives of people around us. This cleaning can free us to live.

Love today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts