Lenten Reflection #30:A Better Day

Better is one day in your courts
    than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
    than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
Psalm 84:10

Maybe you have seen the t-shirts or the signs that proclaim that "the worst day fishing is better than the best day working." Maybe you heard it in reference to some other hobby.  But the sentiment in the saying is that the wearer of the shirt or the person with the pumper sticker or sign would rather do that even when it is bad than be working.  

The Psalmist expresses the sentiment that with God is the best place to be. It is better to spend one day in God's courts, worshiping, connecting to and growing in relationship with Him than a thousand doing anything else.  

I would rather go through my worst days with God than have to go through anything without Him.  I would rather have to go through storms of life with Jesus than to go to the mountaintop and be without Him.  I am grateful that God is with me every step of my life.  I am grateful that he never leaves me or forsakes me.  I am grateful that he leads me from the difficult moments to moments that take my breathe away.  He carries me at times.  One day with God, even if it is a hard day, beats the alternative.  To be apart from God.  To not have God with me.  

I know that he is with me.  That is the good news.  God is not going to abandon us.  We can spend everyday in his presence.  Everyday can be a day in his courts. All that we have to do is be a doorkeeper that opens our lives to Him.  

Love Today.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts