Lenten Reflection 13: Words and thoughts

"14 May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."
Psalm 19:14

Psalm 19 begins by reflecting upon how all of creation declares the glory of God without even having a voice. The sun, the moon and the stars all declare the creators majesty. The earth illustrates his beauty and power. The whole world sings a song of praise without even having voice to sing. 
I am one who can really see God in nature. All of creation points to God and declares his power, majesty and glory. 
I don't see how someone can look at the created world and then declare their is no God. Everything in all of creation has the fingerprint of God. 
What the psalm reminds us of is that we are the ones with the voice. We are the ones who can sing songs and give words to our praise. Yet, many times the words that we share and the thoughts that occupy our thinking may or may not declare his glory or be pleasing to God.
The other thought that hits me as I meditate on this scripture is that the meditations of our hearts will eventually express themselves in words that come out of our mouth.  That is why we need to guard what it is that occupies our thoughts. We need to spend time in the scriptures and meditating on God's word so that it becomes written on our hearts and lives. 
We, like the psalmist, need to pray about the thoughts that occupy our thinking and the words that come out of our mouths. 
May these words and the meditations of my heart be pleasing and being glory to God.

In Christ's love and mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts