All the Way Through You

I think John Ortberg said it, "The goal is not that you get all the way through the scriptures but, that the scriptures get all the way through you."

This post is a followup to a comment on yesterdays post that I received from Tammyb. I think that she asks a pretty common question that most everyone can relate to. (To get the full effect you may want to read her comment yesterday.)

I think Ortberg's quote is a helpful understanding when it comes to creating a habit of daily meditating on God's word. The goal is not that you read it from beginning to end, although that can be a plan for reading it. The important thing is that your read it. Remember, the reason for reading it is that it is a living and active word that we can encounter God in. The what is not as important as the why.

The best plan is that you open it. You can read a little or a lot. I personally prefer to meditate on short pieces of scripture. (Probably because it is easier for me to think about and remember throughout my day.) Also, I like to read the Psalms. I will just take the date (today is the 18th, I will read the 18th Psalm and the 118 psalm) and use it as way to guide my reading of the Psalms. The other important thing is that when we close the bible we don't close our heart and mind to what the scripture is saying. It is alive and active so don't stop at just reading it, let God speak to you. You don't have to fully understand, God will bring you the meaning that you need.

I don't want to tell you a specific plan because the plan that works for you is going to be the plan for you. The plan that helps you open and read is the right plan. Make it a priority. Make sure that each day you open your life up to God's word.

Think about this today.

"He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live by bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord." Deuteronomy 8:3

What do you think?

In Christ's love and Mine,
Doug

Comments

Popular Posts